Changing your Major

The J-1 regulations do not allow a change of objective. Therefore, it is important to note that a change of major may be a change of objective. You may not be allowed to make a significant change. You should speak to an international student adviser before making a change of major.

Note: Students sponsored by their governments must get permission in advance to change majors. If you have changed it without their permission, you may be asked to repay your tuition and living expenses.

Changing your level

Unlike the change of major, a change in level does not automatically update in SEVIS.  If you change from a bachelor's to a master's degree, you must work with DISSA to get a new DS-2019.

Next Page: Transfer of Schools