Extension of Study

When you finish your program of study, you have a 60-day grace period regardless of the program end date on your I-20.

You must do one of the following when you complete your program of study:


What if I complete my program early and don't do any of the options above?

If you finish your program of study before the end date on the I-20, you cannot stay in the U.S. and you cannot continue working.

What if I can't complete my program in time?

If you cannot complete your program by the “program end date” on your I -20, you must apply for an extension no later than 30 days in advance.  In iStart, under I-20 or DS-2019 requests, there is an eForm for "Extensions."  Submit this eForm to apply for an extension.  

Next Page: Changing your Major