Students in F-1 status may accept employment under certain conditions.  Please work with an international student adviser to ensure you have proper work authorization. Working without authorization is a deportable offense. 

Social Security Number:

If you desire to work, either on-campus or off-campus, you will need to apply for a social security number.  More information about how to apply for a Social Security Number can be found in this document provided by the Social Security Administration

On-campus employment:

During your first academic year, you are only permitted to work on-campus.  On-campus employment is work performed on the premises of Penn State University (not a vendor renting space from Penn State such as Panda Express.)  

If you find yourself having unforeseen economic hardship, see an international student adviser as these employment cases require permission from USCIS. Off-campus work authorization is not permitted in the first year.  

Off-campus employment:

After your first academic year, F-1 students may engage in three types of off-campus employment:

  1. Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
  2. Optional Practical Training (OPT) 
  3. Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) Optional Practical Training (OPT) 

DISSA provides several workshops about CPT and OPT each semester.  Check the Global Programs website for more information about upcoming workshops. 

If you wish to do an internship with an international organization (such as the United Nations or World Health Organization), please see an international student adviser as these cases require permission from USCIS.

REMEMBER: Any off-campus employment must be related to your area of study and must be authorized by DISSA prior to starting any work.

Next Page: Travel